July 29, 2022
SAULT STE. MARIE, Mich. and Ontario – The Sault Ste. Marie International Bridge Administration (IBA) is alerting customers that it plans to upgrade its tolling system on Aug. 10.
Over time, the bridge will discontinue the current cards and transition to 6C Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) windshield tags that are automatically read by the toll system when customers pull into a lane. More information on this transition will be forthcoming.
“It’s important for our customers to check their accounts before this transition to make sure their contact information is correct,” said IBA chief financial officer Emily Jacques. “They also should make sure they have sufficient balance available in their account to cover their tolls while we move to the new system.”
Customers will continue to use www.saultbridge.com to manage their toll accounts, but the website will feature a new look and new access instructions. A new web portal will allow customers to manage accounts more effectively. This will include the ability to review transactions, make one-time payments or set up automatic payments, request new or replacement tags, cancel tags, generate statements, and more.
Here are a few important details for bridge customers to remember:
- All current account information and balances will automatically transfer over to the new system. Users will need to re-enter payment information in the new system if they currently have automatic payments set up. They can log in using previous account numbers; however, they will be prompted to create a new username and password.
- Current cards will continue to work, although they will eventually be phased out. Customers will receive advance notice when this happens.
- Before the new system goes online there will be a “freeze” period on accounts. No new cards or accounts will be created, and no changes can be made to existing accounts after 10 p.m. Aug. 5. No deposits to accounts can be made after 10 p.m. Aug. 8. The freeze will be lifted when the new system goes live. All valid cards can continue to be used on their accounts during this period.
Some helpful online guides will be available after Aug. 10 to explain functions of the new system and give instructions on how to perform routine tasks. Customers with additional questions can call 906-635-5255 or 705-942-4345 ext. 105 or 0, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on the International Bridge, please visit www.saultbridge.com. Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/saultbridge.
Sault Ste. Marie International Bridge:
Bridging Our Past, Connecting Our Future
Frequently asked customer questions:
- Is this a brand new account and do I have to switch right away?
- ALL info and balances will transfer to new system. Customers do NOT need to setup a new account.
- Cards will be gradually phased out over 2023. Customers will have time to switch to tags. More information to follow.
- Do I have to sign up for online access?
- Customers can continue to top off their accounts in the lanes using cash, check or credit card.
- Is tag distribution automatic?
- Customers will need to contact the bridge to get the new tags – when we announce they are ready to be issued. They will not be automatically sent.
- We do prefer customers come in (again, when we announce tags are ready to be distributed), but customers will be able to request tags over the phone, or submit a tag request online (AFTER August 10, 2022).
- Customers will be able to exchange and receive one new tag for every active card they have on their account. Additional tags are $2 each.
- Can tags be moved from vehicle to vehicle?
- No. Tags are not portable. They are unique and affixed to each vehicle.