Commercial Escort Policy
The International Bridge Administration (IBA) requires an IBA provided escort for vehicles and permitted loads meeting any one of the following criteria:
May 15, 2017 to October 31, 2017
- Single lane closure
- Maximum Height: 13 feet 6 inches
- Maximum Width: 13 feet 6 inches
- Contracted Paint Project on the Canadian arch above deck. Scaffolding and containment set-up will close one lane of traffic on the arch resulting in width and height restrictions on the active lane. Restrictions will be in place at all times during the work period described above.
Standard Bridge Restrictions
(May be superseded by construction restrictions)
|Category||Southbound Restriction||Northbound Restriction|
|Weight||greater than 144,000 lbs (72 tons) disallowed||greater than 144,000 lbs (72 tons) disallowed|
|Height||greater than 17 feet disallowed||greater than 17 feet disallowed|
|Width - IBA Escorted Required||greater than 11 feet, 4"||greater than 12 feet|
|Length - IBA Escorted Required||greater than 90 feet||greater than 90 feet|
|Other IBA escorted vehicles||Lowboy trailers||n/a|
|Other IBA escorted vehicles||All vehicles carrying explosives||All vehicles carrying explosives|
- All vehicles over 144,000 pounds and/or greater than 17 feet high are disallowed.
- The maximum speed of a permitted load on the International Bridge is 20 mph.
- Escorts for loads over 13 feet, 6 inches wide require the bridge to be shut down to oncoming traffic due to bridge lane restrictions.
Crossing the International Bridge will be scheduled from one half-hour before sunrise to 8 a.m. and from 6 p.m. to one half-hour after sunset. Bridge escorts must be scheduled a minimum of 24 hours prior.
Numbers to call to schedule bridge escort:
In the US, call 906-635-5255, ext. 0.
In Canada call 705-942-4345, ext. 0.
Numbers to call for weight restriction approval:
In the US, call 906-635-5255, ext. 135.
In Canada, call 705-942-4345, ext. 135.
Escorts must be supplied by the IBA due to the bridge’s two-lane configuration to ensure adequate traffic separation of oncoming auto and commercial traffic.
The driver of the vehicle must contact the IBA upon or before reaching the bridge plaza for the scheduled escort. Bridge escorts may be scheduled and allowed between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. at the sole discretion of the IBA only, as low or no traffic volumes allow. Unscheduled vehicles requiring escort may experience significant delays.