- The Sault Ste. Marie International Bridge has several repair and painting projects scheduled for this summer.
- A bridge abutment repair project will use an innovative epoxy injection technique for greater efficiency and fewer traffic impacts.
- The International Bridge Administration (IBA) will also replace sliding bearings, apply epoxy bridge deck coating and paint several bridge components.
To address ongoing maintenance needs at the Sault Ste. Marie International Bridge, the International Bridge Administration (IBA) has scheduled several repair and painting projects this summer.
Annual bridge inspections in recent years have noted sinkholes and the movement and leakage of sand around and through both the Canadian and U.S. bridge abutments. At present, this condition is not severe.
“After 56 years of aging, loss of sand through the abutment embankment and retaining walls is not out of the ordinary,” said International Bridge Engineer Karl Hansen. (more…)
- A pair of peregrine falcons has returned to nest on the Sault Ste. Marie International Bridge this spring.
- The International Bridge Administration (IBA) recently installed a webcam showing the nest site. Dubbed the “FalCam,” it can be accessed at http://www.saultbridge.com/falcam.
- Birds have been returning to the bridge for years, hatching 24 chicks since 2010.
A peregrine falcon visits the nest box at the Sault Ste. Marie International Bridge this morning. The image was captured on a new nest camera, now streaming live online. (IBA photo March 29, 2018 7:48 AM EDT)
March 29, 2018 – Peregrine falcons returning to the Sault Ste. Marie International Bridge this year will need to get ready for their close-ups. The International Bridge Administration (IBA) has installed a new nest camera, the “FalCam,” to allow people to watch them online this year.
While they may still fine-tune the vantage point and the zoom factor, the IBA now has the live video stream viewable at http://www.saultbridge.com/falcam.
- The International Bridge in Sault Ste. Marie celebrated its 100 millionth crossing this morning shortly after 9 a.m.
- The bridge opened to traffic in 1962 and reached its 10 millionth crossing in 1975.
As in 1975, the International Bridge Administration (IBA) recognized one bridge crosser from each direction and presented them with a selection of local gifts.
- March 1, 2018 — The Sault Ste. Marie International Bridge marked a major milestone today as the 100 millionth traveler crossed the span between Michigan and Ontario.
The International Bridge is the only vehicular crossing between Ontario and Michigan within a 300-mile distance. (more…)
In preparation for the upcoming holiday season, please note the following holiday office hours and services for the International Bridge Administration.
Bridge Operational Services:
Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, through the holidays. Assistance is available for walk-in customers or via phone can be reached at either:
- 906-635-5255 ext.0
- 705-942-4345 ext.0
- Prox Cards:
- Debit account (Prox Cards), for new accounts only, will be available through the holiday week.
Bridge Administration Services:
Administration offices will be closed between December 22, 2017 and January 1, 2018. Normal administration office hours and services resume January 2, 2018.
- Prox Cards:
- Requests for replacement cards or extra cards on existing accounts will be processed when normal office hours resume.
Please have a safe and enjoyable holiday week.
- The Sault Ste. Marie Bridge Authority (SSMBA) board of directors named member Thomas Buckingham, Sr., as its chair and member Micheline Dubé vice chair for 2018.
- The board consists of eight members, four Michigan members appointed by Gov. Snyder and four Canadian members.
- The board heard reports on a number of successful International Bridge projects.
November 9, 2017 — At today’s Sault Ste. Marie Bridge Authority (SSMBA) board meeting, the bi-national body that supervises operations of the International Bridge elected officers for 2018.
Board member Thomas Buckingham, Sr., was elected as the 2018 chair of the SSMBA board of directors. Buckingham was appointed to the board in 2015 by Gov. Rick Snyder; he was the SSMBA vice chairman in 2017. Buckingham is from Newberry., where he is general manager and secretary for Forest Insurance Center Agency Inc., Mauck Insurance Agency Inc., and Loggers Insurance Agency II LLC. The SSMBA board consists of eight members, four Michigan members appointed by Gov. Snyder and four Canadian members appointed by the FBCL, located in Ottawa, Ontario.
Micheline Dubé of Ottawa was elected vice chair for 2018. The other Canadian representatives on the board are Natalie Kinloch, Anthony Pickett, and André Girard. The other U.S. representatives are Linda Hoath, Scott Shackleton and Nicholas White.
The SSMBA board also heard updates (more…)